2 Corinthians 4:10

"We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body." 2 Corinthians 4:10

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The days are blurring together already

I've only been here since Thursday and already I feel as though I've been here for a lot longer...in a good way of course :) The days in S. Africa tend to blur together and I often lose track of what day it actually is. It's kinda crazy.

For the last three days I've been helping with support groups in the morning. Living Hope has support groups that meet in the community to encourage each other in living with their struggles and keeping Jesus Christ at the forefront of their lives even in their struggles. I've been teaching some stress management strategies in the areas of Capricorn and Overcome Heights. Most groups meet in local houses within the community and some meet at the Capricorn church. Each group is dynamically different but all have the same needs, concerns, and stresses (health, safety, finances, family/relationships). Please pray for these women and men who are trying to live their lives with grace and humbleness while living in circumstances that you and I cannot even imagine would be our reality. I so want to tell of some touching and also sad stories but this is not the place to divulge. But they are heartbreaking stories and while you go to sleep in your safe, comfy bed after having eaten, at least your third meal of the day, please remember that there are those who do not have any of those basic needs met...they are many.

In the afternoons, I've been either working at Kid's clubs or Teen's club in Overcome Heights. I've seen a couple children who I remember from last year, but there are some that are missing (my Leo) who I would love to see. But the population is transient so the chances that he would have been back were few anyway. It's been awesome working with my wonderful, awesome friend Shagmie. Missed him to death! Also the other LSE's are amazing and I love hanging out with them and teaching kids about important topics like alcohol, drugs, and sex. The realities of rape, pre-marital sex, teen pregnancy, drug/alcohol addiction, etc. is rampant here and teens and children are extremely vulnerable to falling prey to these issues.

Tomorrow I'm excited because I'm hanging out at the Team House for a little while with my fam! ;) Love them and I can't wait to spend some quality time with them. And LAUGH - - We will be playing Apples To Apples....Hehehehe! Love it!

I also can't wait until the team gets here next week. Whoop! :) I'm working hard to get some things ready for when they come. We are going to be teaching Teen's club for at least one day when they come, so I'm writing up some lessons for when they are here. I'm also continuing to tweak our schedule for when we are here to pack in as much ministry experiences as possible. I love that our team is so willing to be humble servants on this mission and I can't wait to see them arrive.

Loving you all for praying for me and my ministry here. I continue to hope and pray that I remain humble to the Lord and bless those around me, even when it's hard to do. Please also pray that I am effective here and that I accomplish and am open to what God is calling me to experience here. Knowing that all of you are behind me and praying for me helps me to not feel homesick and helps me persevere through some of the emotionally draining times here.

With lots of love ~ Jaclyn

3 comments:

  1. Jaci,
    I miss you so much, and am so happy that you are settled in and enjoying your self there. I can't wait to meet you there with opens arms and sqeeze u like crazy! Am so proud of you and what you are accomplishing there. You are so wonderful and God is so proud I am sure of it.
    Keeping you in my thought and prayers daily.
    Lots of love, see you in one week! xoxo
    Jenny
    ps, if you would like us to bring you anything you may have forgotten, please let us know.. see you very soon, my beautiful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jac, I have no doubt that God is using you to plant seeds. You have opened yourself up to being used by him in this place and in your life. He will touch the lives of many through you. It is an amazing experience that you are going through and you will come away more filled and more blessed than ever. Awesome. We are so proud of you and pray for you everyday. I'm sure that you are a little homesick but take heart in knowing that all is okay here and you are exactly where you are supposed to be even thought I can't wait for you to be home. Moocha misses you but she is using me well as a substitute for right now. Love you tons.........M

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were thinking of you last night at Bible study. Miss you lots and our prayers are with you you each day. Can't wait to hear the stories when you get back and so excited for the group to join you next week!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete